Manufacturing Company, corner of King and
Massey Streets, the largest manufacturing firm in Toronto. In 1847
Daniel Massey established the business in a small way at Newcastle. In
1852 he admitted as partner his son, II. A. Massey, who, in 1855, became
sole proprietor. In 1857 Mr. II. A. Massey began the manufacture of the
Manny Combined Reaper and Mower, and, in 1862, the celebrated Wood's
Rake Reaper, being its first introduction into Canada. In 1864 the
entire establishment at Newcastle was. destroyed by fire, but afterwards
rebuilt. A Massey Mower and Self-Rake Reaper were selected by a
Government committee, in 1866, to represent the manufacturing interests
of Canada at the great Paris Exhibition held in the following year. In
1867 they were the first in Canada to manufacture and introduce the
steel tooth wheel horse-rake with automatic dump. The business was
incorporated in 1870 under its present name, with H. A. Massey as
president, and C. A. Massey as vice-president and manager. In 1874
commenced the manufacture of Sharp's Rake> wl ich won high honours at
the Centennial Exhibition at Philadelphia in 1876, and :n
1878 the manufacture of the celebrated Massey Harvester was commenced.
In 1879 the entire business was removed from Newcastle to Toronto, where
new and extensive buildings had been erected. In 1881 the business and
good-will of the Toronto Mower and Reaper Company was purchased. In the
same year the factory was enlarged and a knife and bar department added,
thus making this the only firm in Canada that manufactured their own
knives and sections. They also make their own special tools, employing
five men for that purpose. There is a repair department and spacious
show-rooms showing machinery in operation. The. main building has a
front on Massey Street of 492 feet, with a branch of 258 feet, making a
total length of 750 feet, with a width of from fifty to sixty feet. The
building is four stories high. There is also a foundry and
blacksmith shop, 310 x 60 feet; an engine room and
boiler house, 70 x 50 ; a tool room and pattern-makers' department, 40 x
20; a knife, bar and tooth department, 115 x 36 feet and two storeys
high. All these are brick buildings. Besides, these there are frame
store-houses, stables and driving sheds, and an oil cellar, 27 x 33, All
these buildings are heated by steam and accommodated by two private
railroad sidings. The machinery is propelled by two engines, one of the
Brown & Oarliss pattern of 100 horse-power, being as tine an engine as
can be found anywhere. I ive large steam elevators are used for carrying
goods from one fiat to another, while all the rooms are supplied with
the best tools and machinery, As an indication of the extent to which
this business has grown, t may be noted that
4,939 reapers, mowers
and binders and 4,000 horse-rakes were turned out m 1882, while in 1883
the output was G,ooo machines and 4,000 rakes, the work of 400 men. On
February 12, 1884, Charles A. Massey died, and the 27th of the same
month the follow:ng officers were elected: H. A. Massey,
president and manager ; C. D. Massey, vice-president; Geo. Medcalf,
secretary and treasurer; M. Garvin, assistant manager; W.F.Johnston,
superintendent. There is now completed an extensive office building, 52
x 65 feet, four storeys high. The basement is devoted to dining-rooms
and janitor's quarters; the first flat to offices ; the second flat for
reading-room and library, and the third flat for a lecture room and
concert hall. The two upper flats are expressly for the accommodation of
The Biscuit Manufacture.
correspondent sends us the following touching the rise and progress of
biscuit making in Toronto:—My first acquaintance with biscuit
manufacturing in Toronto was riding a lever called a brake m a building
somewhere between Sherbourne and George Streets, on King Street East, in
the year 1848. For some time previous to that date—how long I cannot
say—Mr. Cubitt made and peddled hand-made crackers and " horse-cakes"
around among the stores. I do not think that more than a hundred weight
of flour was made into crackers a day in Toronto at that time. John
Nasmith, corner of Adelaide and Jarvis Streets, made a few biscuits for
his retail trade ; and Daniel Cleal about that time bought a machine for
biscuit making, but seldom used it, except for making what has since
been known as "hard-tack." A little later one Edward Lawson began the
manufacture of biscuits on a rather more extensive scale, as did also
Mr. Nasmith, Mr. Lawson finally selling out his Toronto business and
removing to Bolton Village, where he proposed making flour and biscuits
to supply the rising city. Dodgson, Shields & Morton bought out Mr.
Lawson's Toronto business in groceries, baking and confectionery, and
pushed it with vigour. About that time Mr. Nasmith put in new and
improved machinery, and did a good trade for the time. In the year 1858
a new aspirant appeared on the field, viz., William Christie. In the
fall of that year an exhibition was held in the old Exhibition grounds,
a few yards south-east of the Lunatic Asylum ; they were then the new
Exhibition buildings of which Toronto was justly proud. An effort was
made by all the biscuit-makers in the city to carry off the much-coveted
"First Prize" for "the best collection or biscuits," offered by the
"Arts and Agricultural Association of Upper Canada." Mr. Christie was
the fortunate winner, a fact which at once brought him into prominence,
although he manufactured on a very small scale and did a small portion
of the business of Toronto, dividing it with those mentioned above. In
1868 William Christie and Alexander Brown commenced biscuit-making on a
rather more extensive scale than had heretofore been done by Mr.
Christie alone, under the name of Christie, Brown & Co., at 626 Yonge
Street (old number). William Hessin, a confectioner, concluded to add
biscuit-making to his other business shortly after—about 1869 or '70. A
little later on Robertson Bros, also added biscuit-making to their
confectionery manufacturing. I overlooked the mention of James Girvan,
successor to David Maitland, who was a maker of biscuits in addition to
bread-making. Mr. Girvan was contemporaneous with Mr. Nasmith, Dodgson,
Shields & Morton, and G. S. & A. Wills who also tried their hands at the
biscuit business, commencing about 1865, as well as a number of others,
viz., George Coleman, George Constable, L. Gibb, Beaty
be Sleiman, and Mr. Siatter, but all found
more profitable occupation of their capital in other businesses, except
William Ilessin and William Christie. The former still continues the
business along with his confectionery, etc., and the latter—under the
name of Christie, Brown & Co.—devotes his attention exclusively to
biscuit making. The progress of the business will be seen when the fact
is known that the quantity of flour now used in the manufacture of
biscuit is close on twenty thousand barrels per annum, finding sale from
the Rocky Mountains to Prince Edward Island.
Mich\el A. Harper
was born in the County Monaghan, Ireland, March 17,
1850. He early learned the business of a general storeman, and also
filled the position of travelling salesman for a Belfast house for two
years. In 1871 he came to Toronto, and in 1881 established the
manufacture of blue, receiving a diploma at Toronto in the same year, a
bronze medal in 1882 and a silver medal in 1883. He employs three men.
Wm. Coloring (of
Goidring & Sons, boat owners), was born in Sussex, England, iii 1812.
and settled in Toronto in 1832. He has always been engaged in the
boating business. At present he owns three boats. His office is on the
Esplanade at the foot of Frederick Street.
George Wharin, boat
builder, Esplanade and Front Street, was born in England, and came to
Canada in 1831 with his brother James. He learned the trade of
boat-building from Robert Rennardson (who was one of the first to follow
that industry in Toronto) and worked for liirn about eighteen years. In
the year 1872 George and his brother J tines commenced business for
themselves, manufacturing boats, etc., and dur ng their career had the
honour of constructing those boats with which Edward Hanlan won his
principal races, chief of which may be mentioned the "Canada"—the one
used 011 the Thames in England—and the "George Wharin,'' which he used
at Philadelphia during the U. S. Centennial. In the beginning of the
year 1884. James died, since which the business has been entirely m the
hands of George Wharin. He usually employs six men, and constructs boats
for exportation to all parts of the world. He manufactures a patent
hollow oar, which is giving great satisfaction; also a patent rowlock
and patent roller seat.
Currie, Martin & Co.,
boiler makers, Esplanade, foot of Frederick Street. This business was
started in 1852 by Nci1 Currie, bei lg the first of the kind in Toronto.
It came into the hands of the present firm in 1880. About twenty-five
hands are employed.
John Ball, brewery, 129
Vanauley Street. The premises were erected and business established by
Mr. Craig, in 1844, on land owned by Mr. Henry Sproat. Win. Lennox & Co.
and Charles Sproat succeeded the original founder until t868, when the
business was sold to Mr. Ball, who, since he has had possession, has
largely extended the working capacity of the brewery to meet the
requirements of increasing trade. Malting is carried on in addition to
brewing and gives employment to from seven to ten men. rhe main buddings
are 80 x 200 feet, with cellars under the entire premises. On St. Andrew
Street the buildings are 14 x 200 feet, with shed accommodation for
waggons, etc. Mr. Ball has been an alderman for six years, chairman of
the Board of Works four years, and chairman of Markets,
Health and 'License
Committees. He settled in Toronto in 1849, and formerly did a large
grocery and provision trade in the city, working three separate stores
at one time.
The Copland Brewing
Company oe Toronto, Parliament Street, was established m 1830. President
: H. L. Hime, Esq. Secretary and Treasurer, James E. Millett. Brewer,
William Haldane. Assistant Brewer, H. C. Haldane. The travelling agents
are Mr. John Millett and Mr. J. W. C. Bedson.
Cornnell's Brewery, 737
Queen Street West. This brewery was first established by John Farr in
1819, being the first and oldest brewery in Toronto. It was called at
that time the " Farr Brewery." It was leased to John Moss and John
Wa.Uis, M.P.I5., in 1854, who carried on the business until 1867, when
Mr. Moss died. John Cornnell then entered into partnership with Mr.
Walh's. Mr. Wallis tiled in 1872, when Mr. Cornnell obtained full
control. He died in 1879, and the business was managed by his son, Jno.
S. G. Cornnell, and A. Jardine, executor of the Estate. Mr. Cornnell was
in the City Council for several years; also a Justice of Peace untd his
death. He settled in Toronto m 18^.7.
The East End Brewery,
at the rear of River Street, was built in 1864 by Mr. Defries, and in
1868 was purchased by the present owner, Thomas Allen, who was born in
the County Armagh, Ireland, in 1830, and settled in Toronto in 1851. Mr.
Allen s now serving his fifth term as alderman from St. David's Ward.
Ontario Brewing and
Malting Co. The brewery (125 x 125 feet and elevator 120 x 45 feet, and
seventy-seven feet high) is at from 281 to 289 King Street East. The
business was established in 1882, under the style of the Queen City
Malting Co. I11 1884 the present extensive buildings were erected and
the name changed to the Ontario Brewing and Malting Co. The elevator,
which is entirely fire-proof, has a storing capacity of two hundred
thousand bushels. Taken altogether, the building covers a space of
ground two hundred and sixty feet square, and extending from King to
Front Streets, facing on Ontario Street. Fifty men are employed in
malting some three hundred thousand bushels annually. Three engines of
ninety horse-power are used. As an indication of the extent of the
business, it may be noted that, m 1883, two hundred and sixteen thousand
bushels of malt were exported to the Uin'ted States. The capital stock
is $250,000, and tlie officers are: W. J. Thomas, President ; T. B.
Taylor, Vice-Presi dent, and Thomas Taylor, Secretary and Treasurer.
Reinhardt & Co.,
brewers, 87 to 93 Duchess Street. This brewery was established in 1859
by John Walz, and came into the hands of Mr. Rein-hardt >n 1881. He
manufactures only lager beer, anil employs fifteen men and two
travellers. He was in tne employ of Thomas Davis for five years before
commencing business for himself, and is said to be the real introducer
of the manufacture of lager beer into Toronto.
L. Reinhardt was born
in Bavaria in 1843, and came to Canada in 1876. He was the first one who
manufactured lager m the City of Toronto, and was first employed by Mr.
J. Davis for some years. He then started in 1880 their business, known
as the Reinhardt Brewery, located on Duchess Street. He ships his beer
all through Canada, and has increased his trade from eight hundred
gallons daily to two thousand rive hundred. The firm is composed of L.
Reinhardt and Ignatius Kormann.
George Severn, brewer
and maltster, 815-819 Yonge (Yorkville brewery); established by his
father, John Severn, in 1832, who died in 1880. George and Henry Severn
became renters in 1854, continuing till 1864, then continued by their
father till 1879, when George Severn became proprietor. There are from
eight to nine acres in the property. The buildings occupy, brewery 80 x
225, five storeys; malt-house 35 x 1x5, containing three storeys. Cellar
room the whole extent of the brewery. Employ rive hands in the bottling
department, rive in brewery, three in malt department, two travelling
salesmen, and one clerk. Does all his own malting. Brews annualiy about
two hundred thousand gallons. His father, John Severn was born in
Derbyshire, England, 1807; settled in Toronto in 1830.
proprietor of Beaty's brick-yard, Leslieville, came to Canada wi*h his
people when young, and settled in St. Ann's, New Brunswick. He resided
there until 1850, and afterwards drove a horse and caleche in this city.
He engaged first in the nursery business, and has had a varied career.
He kept an hotel fourteen years, and ran a line of busses. It was in
1880 he established his present business, where he owns about eighteen
acres of land, employs thirteen hands, and manufactures about one
million bricks per year. He married Ellen Winnett, daughter of John
Winnett, of London, Ont.
Booth & Pears, trading
under the head of the Yorkville and Carlton Brick Manufacturing Company,
brick-makers, Avenue Road, canily into the possession of their business
in 1880. it having been established thirty years before. They employ
sixty men, and make four and a-half million bricks a year. They also
have a brick yard at Carlton, where they make two million bricks a year
and employ twenty-five men.
H. Buttell, proprietor
of the brick-yard near Clinton Street, where he employs about twenty-two
hands, and turns out annually two million of bricks (common stock). Our
subject is a native of Oxfordshire, England, and came out in 1857. He
learned the business at home, following the same since his arrival here.
Brick-Yard is one of the largest in this city ; annual output about
three millions per year; employing about sixty convicts.
George Cook, brick
manufacturer, Leslie\dle, was born in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire,
England, and came to Canada in 1851. For several years he worked at his
trade, and h's first establishment in his present business dates from
1874. I he yard at present gives employment to about ten hands, who turn
out about eight hundred thousand bricks per year. Mr. Cook owns two
farms to which he devotes the greater share of attention, and is about
retiring from the brick-making in favour of his son— John Cook.
proprietor of the brick works located near Curzon and Clifford Streets,
was born in Tipperary, Ireland, and came to Canada :n 1847. He has been
connected with the manufacture of brick for thirty-seven years, havng
been i» business for himself s nee 1874. He commenced first on Leslie
Street, but three years later he bought and took possession of his
present premises, where he employs about ten hands and turns out about
one million bricks per year.
brick manufacturer, is a native of Skipton, Yorkshire, England, where he
was born in 1828. He came to Canada with his parents m 1831, they
settling first on a farm at Willowdale. Thomas lived at home till the
year 1855, when he commenced farming on his own account, and three years
later commenced the manufacture of bricks. He began the latter industry
1.1 a small way, but the success he met with in that branch was such,
that, he decided to give up farm ng, and devote his whole attention to
which he did, and has since successfully carried on that business. Mr.
Nightingale was the first in Toronto to make sewer pipes from clay, and
now does a great trade in that line. He employs thirty-five hands, and
his out-put has amounted to §50,000 annually. He married Margaret
Townsley, daughter of James and Mary Townsley, who came to Canada in
Leonard Tears, brick
manufacturer, is a native of Yorkshire, England, and came to Toronto m
1851. For the first two years after his arrival he laboured at brick
making in the yard of Mr. Townsley. In 1856 he commenced to make brick
by contract, which he continued for five years. He went to Quebec in
1865, where he remained two years, completing a contract for the making
of brick for a firm there. He again returned to this city and opened out
in a small way for himself, and by dint of perseverance and industry his
business has increased to such an extent that the firm—me Yorkville and
Carlton Brick Manufacturing Company—now turn out about six million
bricks annually. Mr, Pears has been in the Yorkville Council, and is the
owner of a fine property in North Toronto.
James Price, brick
manufacturer, Leslie Street, is a native of England, where he learned
his trade of brick maker. On coming to Canada in 1869, he engaged first
in farming, but eventually returned to his own trade at which he worked
until 1878. About this time he took an interest in the firm of Price &
Co., which continued under a company until January, 1884. Since that
date Mr. Price has carried on the business by himself and employs from
eight to ten men, who turn out from eight to nine hundred thousand
bricks annually. Mr. Price visited the Old Country in 1874, bringing
back with him his present wife.
proprietor of brick yard on the Kingston Road, was born in County
Tyrone, Ireland, and brought up if) Monaghan, Ireland, where he resided
forty-one years. He came to this city in 1849, and in 1857 he
established himself in brick-making, which he has since continued. He
employs eight hands, and the yearly output of his yard aggregates
upwards of nine hundred thousand.
John Sheppard was born
n Yorkshire, England, in 1817, and came to Toronto in 1835. He learned
the trade of a brickinaker, and in 1851 commenced to manufacture bricks
at Yorkville. He has since added tile-making to his business, and in the
summer season employs twelve men, turning out over a million tiles
annually. He was married n 1843 to Sarah Stibbert.
William Townsley was
born in Yorkshire, England, in 1827, and came to Toronto with his
fathers family in 1829. In 1855 he commenced at Yorkville the
manufacture of bricks and brick machines, the latter of which he
patented. He died Nov. 22, 1877, leaving his business to be carried on
by his wife, Forbes Ann Watt, to whom he was married in 1857.
brick-maker, Kingston Road, is a native of this city, being the son of
Robert Wagstaff, who came to Canada a soldier in a regiment sent from
England to assist in quelling the Rebellion of 1837-8. He remained here
and followed the occupation he had been accustomed to in the early
portion of his life—that of brick-maker—and continued at that until his
death, in 1844. David also learned and followed his father's trade until
1864, when he commenced business at his present location, which he has
since continued successfully to conduct. He employs ten men and turns
out one million bricks annually. In 1865 Mr Wagstaft married Matilda
Sear, daughter of Charles Sear, of English birth. The handsome brick
residence where our subject now resides was built in 1883.
Brush, and Broom
broom manufacturer, 848 Queen Street West, succeeded to the business
established by his father in 1863. He became proprietor in 1870, and
employs from fifteen to twenty hands in the manufacture of his goods,
and in 1878 commenced to make brushes of all descriptions. He has one
representative, who introduces his goods throughout the Provinces. Mr.
Barton is alderman for St. Stephen's Ward.
Chas. Boeck & Son,
brush, broom and wooden-ware manufacturers, 80 York Street. The building
where the business is conducted has a frontage of 30 x 200 feet and is
four storeys high, the front premises being used for manufacturing and
the rear for storage. The business was originally established, in 1856,
for the making of brushes alone and was the first of its kind in
Toronto, the broom and wooden-ware industry being added in 1878. The
firm have full control of the Newmarket Pail and Tub Works. The
manufacture of brooms is carried on at 150 Adelaide Street, where twenty
hands are employed; seventy-five hands are engaged at the York Street
factory. Four travellers look after the interests of this firm.
Manufactory, 106 Front Street East, Sanderson, Bailey & Pillow,
proprietors. Established in 1880. Employ from fifteen to twenty five
hands and one traveller, and introduce goods all over the Dominion.
James Wilson, brush
manufacturer, was born in Burnley, Lancashii-England, and came to
Toronto in 1863, when he established his present business. In 1882 he
was burned out. He then employed fifteen hands • now he has only seven.
Mr. Wilson is prospering in his business and attributes his success to
the National Policy.
Carriage and Waggon
T. Brewer, waggon-maker
and carpenter, No. 8 Gould Street. Busi ness was established in 1882.
Wm. Briscoe, waggon and
sleigh-maker, 139 Queen Street West, established his business m 1842 and
now employs n'ie men. He was born in Staffordshire, England, 1816, and
settled in Toronto in 1842.
14 and iG Alice Street, two doors west of Yonge, J. P. Sullivan,
proprietor. Established in 1879, and employs from eighteen to twenty-two
men. Makes all kinds of carriages and sleighs, as well as hook and
ladder trucks for the Eire Brigade. His works are new and of brick,
built in 1883, 52 x 85 feet in size and three storeys with basement. Mr.
Sullivan was born in Pr.nce Edward's County, Canada, and has had
extended experience in his calling, having worked several years in New
York and New Haven, U. S.; returned to Canada ;n 1872.
W. Mahaffy & Son, proprietors, 130 Front Street East. Established in
1883, and employs from five to eight hands ; does general waggon-making,
horse-shoeing and blacksmithing.
Matthew Guy, steam
carriage and waggon works, 103 and 105 Queen Street East, established
his business in 1871. He employs about twenty men. His specialties are
cartage, grocery, express and delivery waggons and railroad lories.
F. Jobin, No. 93
Richmond Street West, manufacturer of carriages and waggons, etc., both
light and heavy; established in 1879. Employs fourteen men; does custom
work and repairing in the retail business. His wood and blacksmith shop
is 100 x 30 feet. Paint and trimming shop, 60 x 37 feet.
The Crompton Corset
Company, 78 York Street. Incorporated on the 19th of March, 1880.
President, F. Crompton; Vice-President, T. James Claxton; Secretary and
Treasurer, John Walker. This establishment gives employment to about
three hundred and fifty hands, who are engaged in the making of
hoop-skirts, corsets, bustles, etc. The travelling department includes
five representatives. The firm has a branch house in Montreal, the
management of which is entrusted to T. J. Claxton & Co., who look after
the interests of the company east of that city, while the Toronto office
attends to the business west. They received a gold medal in 1881 and
1882, and also silver and bronze wherever their goods have been
exhibited. They manufacture fourteen different lines of goods,-their
specialty being "The Coraline Corset," for which they hold a Dominion
first electric light machine in Toronto was constructed by J. J. Wright,
in the summer of 1882, at the premises of the Rawbone Manufacturing
Company, 81 Yonge Street. Mr. Wright now has three machines supplying
light on King and Yonge Streets. He employs the arc system of lighting,
devised by himself, and covered by patents. One of the advantages of
this system is that the lights can be turned on and off independently of
the machine. He has examined all the different electric light machinery
in the Un. :ed States, and experimented with Professor Thompson, of the
Philadelphia High School.
T. J. Frame & Co., 120
King Street East, manufacturers of telegraph and electric goods, harness
ornaments, and dealers lM electric supplies, and opticians' goods, etc.
This firm was established in 1879 by T. J. Frame, who in 1883 admitted
T. C. Elwood as a partner. The business is wholesale, and gives
employment to fourteen men.
Manufacturers and Dealers.
Gilmour & Tweedie,
manufacturers of furniture, 75 Richmond Street West. Established in
1883; employ five hands and do a wholesale business. Bedroom sets a
Robert Hay & Co.,
furniture manufacturers, 19 and 21 King Street West. This old
established firm was originally known under the appellation of Jacques &
Hay; but on the retirement of the former, in 1872, it became known by
its present title. They employ on an average five hundred and
seventy-five hands, most of whom are engaged in the manufacture, of
furniture. About three hundred thousand feet of lumber are annually used
for this purpose, from which is manufactured about §500',000 worth of
furniture. Charles Rogers, one of the partners connected with the above
firm, was born ui Glasgow, Scotland, in 1816, and came to Canada in
1851, and entered the service of the firm under the old dispensation. He
was a carver by trade, and took charge of that department. After the
retirement of Mr. Jacques in 1872, Mr. Rogers became a partner of the
firm. George Craig, another member of the above firm, was born in
Glasgow, Scotland, 1819, and came to Canada in 1842. He was from the
time of his arrival associated with the firm as machinist and in 1872
became a partner.
iron-founder, Queen Street West, is a native of Staffordshire, England,
came direct to Toronto in 1843 and has been in business here ever since.
At one time he did a large and extensive trade; but commercial panics
and other causes led to a collapse from which he honourably issued, but
with diminished capital. Mr. Beckett's business motto is sound: "No man
is ever exempt from the payment of a just debt when he is able to pay in
the future." At present he only employs eight men at his foundry.
Matthews & Bell,
proprietor of cornice works, 30 Adelaide Street West. Firm composed of
Asa Matthews and Walter Bell, '/hey manufacture galvanized iron
cornices, window caps, dormer windows, eave-troughs, and general tin and
Richard Rabjohn, iron
and brass founder. Tecumseth Street. Established in Hamilton in 1874, a
Toronto agency. Moved to Toronto in 1880. Employs from twenty to fifty
hands. Manufactures ornamental goods in bronze, brass and iron. Received
thirteen first-class prizes in Hamilton in 1876 in ornamental bronze,
brass and iron work, also in Toronto, London and other places has
received first-class prizes.
St. Lawrence Foundry
Company, 206 to 222 Front Street East. Established in,1851 by Wm.
Hamilton, father of the present manager. In 1879 the present company was
formed. John Leys, president; A. B. Lee, vice-president; Wm. Hamilton,
manager and secretary. Employ about one hundred and fifty hands, with
capital stock of $100,000. Water and gas-pipe and building and general
P. W. Ellis & Co.,
manufacturing jewellers, 31 King Street East. This business was
established at 4 Toronto Street m 1877, and was moved to its present
location in 1880. Employment is given to one hundred hands and three
travelling agents. Messrs. Ellis & Co. have the only factory of any
importance in the Dominion. They also have a wholesale department, in
which they handle watchmakers' and jewellers' tools and supplies, also
lines of American and English Jewellery, Watches, Diamonds and Precious
proprietor of the knitting factory, Esplanade East, was born at
Charlestown, South Carolina, United States, 1825. His father, M. M.
Simpson, was of German extraction ; his mother was a daughter of William
Cohen, of Nova Scotia. Mr. Simpson's parents died when he was but a mere
lad, and he was thrown upon his own resource he attended the public
school at Chariestown until he was sixteen years of age, then engaged in
mercantile business in the State of Georgia until 1864, when he carne to
Toronto and embarked, in the manufacture of woollen underwear, without
having had any previous experience. He first purchased from Mr. Burton,
on the Dundas Road, a carder and spinning-jack of one hundred and twenty
spindles, and began business. His business rapidly increased, and a few
years later he purchased the most improved machinery, and from time to
time has added to the same until at the present time he has eighteen
carding machines, seven spinning jacks, and eighteen knitting machines,
upon which he turns out from seventy-live to eighty dozen garments per
day, of every grade and variety; his establishment is the only one of
the kind in Toronto. He employs about one hundred and twenty hands,
seventy-five of whom are ladies. He manufactures shirts and drawers of
wool and union. His shop is situated at the foot of Berkeley Street. He
takes the wool or raw material from the sheep's back, and after being
cleansed, it is carded, spun, coloured, and then knit upon the most
improved form of spiral knitting machine into a long seamless sack,
which is afterwards cut up into the desired length for the garment;
sleeves are added, and it is then transferred to the shaping and drying
room, where each garment is placed upon wooden forms and stretched to
the proper shape and size, then dried and finished. Ilis building is of
brick, 55 x 145 feet upon the ground, and three storeys in height; the
third floor is used for carding or working the raw material, the second
floor for spinning and knitting, and the first floor for finishing,
store-room and offices. He has the very best machinery manufactured. He
has the pioneer establishment of Canada, being the oldest in the
Dominion. He consumes about twelve hundred pounds of wool and , cotton
per day; the value of his manufactures for one year has exceeded one
hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Leather, Fancy Goods,
(American Novelty Works) was born at Richmond Hill, York County, 1845.
His father, Ryal Chamberlain, was born in the United. States in 1796; he
came to Canada in 1814, and settled at Richmond Hill, where he engaged
;n the business of farming and building, which he carried on there until
his death, August 5th, 1867. The mother of the subject of our sketch was
a daughter of Colonel James Fulton, a U. E. L., who served in the War of
1812. He was born at St. John's, and came to settle in York County in
the year 1792. They were the first family who located oh Yonge Street, a
family of the name of Miller being the second
Colonel Fulton first
went to Elgin Mills, but eventually settled is Markham. He died in 1834.
When twenty years of age, Mr. Chamberlain began business in Toronto as
builder, of which trade he had acquired a knowledge from his father. He
continued in this business until 1875, when he commenced as a property
speculator. A great many buildings have been erected in various parts of
the city by Mr. Chamberlain, notably the block where he at present
resides, called Chamberlain's Block. He has also built in the north-east
part of the city one hundred houses, forty-three on Guilder-sleeve
Avenue, of which he sold twenty-four to C. F. Guildersleeve, of
Kingston. During the present year Mr Chamberlain has entered upon quite
a new line of business to that he has hitherto conducted. At the
American Novelty Works, 90, 92 and 94 Duke Street, are manufactured
children's toys and useful domestic articles, baby carriages,
velocipedes, express waggons, wheel-barrows, sleds, etc. A large amount
of cane and willow is used in the construction of these articles, which
is imported from the United States. The establishment is in charge of a
most skilled workman, and the work turned out excels anything seen in
this market, and equals any in the world. The American Novelty Works is
the largest of its kind ;n Canada. Mr. Chamberlain married Esther,
second daughter of Edward Smith, of Whitby Township.
A. K. Clarke & Co.,
leather manufacturers, 133 to 159 Eastern Avenue, office and salesroom,
28 Front Street East. This business was removed here from Peterborough
in 1882, and employs forty-five hands. The factory is 40 x 90 feet and
four storeys, and has a large storehouse attached, and engine-house 15 x
30 feet, with a fifty horse-power engine, Armington & Sims' automatic
cut-off pattern, made by Doty. As a specialty they manufacture black and
coloured sheep, calf and morocco, as well as all kinds of fane)
leathers. The firm has agencies in Montreal and Quebec cities.
Frederick E. Dixon,
manufacturer of leather belting, 70 King Street East, is a native of
Toronto, being the youngest son of Alexander Dixon, born in Carlow,
Ireland, in 1792, and came to Toronto in 1830, commencing business as a
saddlery hardware merchant. In 1840 he built the premises at 72 King
Street East, where he afterwards conducted his business. This building
was erected in front of the old Jail and Court-house block, and running
through to Court Street, covered the spot where Lount and Matthews were
executed for Participation Rebellion of 1837. The late Mr. Dixon was for
several years Alderman of St. George's Ward. He died in 1855. F. E.
Dixon, the present head of the firm of F. E. Dixon & Co., commenced
business at 81 Colboinc Street in 1872, under the Style of Dixon, Smith
& Co. In March, 1883, lie removed to his present premises, 70 King
Street East, the firm in 1877 having changed to F. E. Dixon & Co. Their
principal manufacturing specialties are the "Star Revit Leather
Belting," also the "Patent Lap Joint." Goods of all kinds and various
sizes are sent by this firm to all parts of the Dominion, from New
Brunswick to British Columbia, having three travellers constantly on
these routes. The factory machinery is driven by steam-power, and they
employ on an average about fourteen men. Mr. Dixon was formerly an
officer in the Queen's Own Rifles, and was gazetted Major in 1866,
retiring in 1869, retaining rank.
Julian Sale & Co. Firm
composed of Julian Sale and W. J. Somerville. Business established in
1874 W J- Sale. Manufacturers of pocket-books, satchels, bill cases, and
all kinds of fancy leather and plush goods—exclusively for the wholesale
trade throughout Canada. Employs about twenty hands. This was the first
firm to engage exclusively in their line of goods in the Dominion.
Address: 169 Bleeker Street.
P. Strauss, leather
manufacturer, etc., 436 King Street East, is a native of Belgium, and
came to America with his parents in 1845. In 1876 he located in this
city and engaged in his present business, viz.: manufacturing mats from
all kinds of skins, and including also the trade of wool-buying. Twelve
hands are employed by Mr. Strauss in this business, which is the only
one in the production of this class of goods in the city.
Lime and Stone.
D. D. Christie,
proprietor of stone quarries and lime manufacturer. The works and
quarries are situate three miles west of Milton Station, on the C.P.R.,
and there from thirty to forty men are employed. The material finds its
chief market in Toronto and the surrounding districts, though
considerable quantities are shipped to other localities. He has three
kilns, with a capacity of nine car loads (3,600 bushels) weekly. In the
year 1883 the stone shipped from the quarries amounted to three hundred
J. & G. Farquhar,
contractors and lime merchants, 70 Esplanade East. This firm
manufactures lime and cement at "Limehouse," near Guelph, and during the
past year have sold over fifty thousand bushels of lime in Toronto
alone, besides a similar quantity collectively to the other towns of the
Province. They also import a vast deal of stone, and take up contracts
for the making of roads, having paved several streets in the city.
Edward Terry, dealer in
Portland and Thorold cements, fire-brick, sewer pipes, lime, piaster,
etc., 23 and 25 George Street. This business was first established by T.
W. Coleman, and was taken possession of by the present proprietor about
twelve years ago. Mr. Terry was born in Kent, England, in 1839, and came
to Canada in 1857 and located in Toronto, where he has since resided. He
has the city agencies for Thorold cement and New Brunswick Plaster of
Paris, the latter of which he makes a specialty.
James Findlay, 50
Esplanade, machinist, manufacturer of -steam engines, shafting and
general machinery, established business in 1871, and employs from six to
eight men. Is the patentee uf a car replacer, or railway dog; also of an
improved hose fastener. Mr. Findlay was formerly an engneer on the Grand
machinist, Duke Street, was born at Hythe, England, and learned his
trade in Brighton. He came to Canada in 1870, and worked first as
journeyman for Dickey, Neil & Co., with whom he stayed three years. He
then entered the shop of Fensom & Co., elevator manufacturers, where he
has charge of the mechanical department, comprising a force 01
twenty-eight men, where is turned out good and efficient work. Mr.
Idenden was married in England. He is a member of St. George's Lodge of
Freemasons; attends the English Church; and his political views are
mechanical engineer and machinist, 15 Sorauren Avenue, Parkdale, was
born in Dundee, Scotland, in 1820, and is the son of Peter Martin. He
came to Canada in 1848, and located in Toronto. He was sent out from
Scotland to Montreal to fit up two locomotive engines, the second and
third in Canada, on the Lachine Line, manufactured by Kimmond & Co., of
Dundee, Scotland. He afterwards engaged in the St. Mary's foundry for
some time, and came to York in the fall of 1848, and entered the service
of the late F. H. Medcalf, machinist, Queen Street East, Toronto, where
he remained a considerable time, and then went to Brampton, Ontario, and
entered the employ of Haggart Bros., foundrymen. After three years he
came back to Toronto, and engaged in the Scho Foundry, from which he
entered the service of the Grand Trunk Railway contractors, and remained
there till near the completion of the line, when he went to the St.
Lawrence Foundry, where he was some nine years; after which he started
business for himself in the engine and machine line, and carried on in
Toronto the works known as the Ontario Engine Works for some fifteen
years, when he left the business in the hands of his son James. He
represented the Ward of St. David in the Municipal Council,
Toronto, for two years,
1874 and x875- He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and
Independent in politics. After a married life of forty-four years, his
wife, Mary Mudie, of Lochie, Scotland, died in Park-dale on the 19th of
October, 1884. Of Irs family four sons and two daughters survive.
William Polson & Co.,
81 Esplanade Street East, engineers, machinists and machinery brokers,
makers of engines and boilers. Steam yacht-machinery a specialty.
Established in 1883, and employ from twenty to thirty hands.
Clark Bros., mineral
water manufacturers, 34 and 36 William Street. The business was
established in 1879, was located at 229 Queen Street West, removing to
their present premises in 1883. The property has a frontage of 41 x 126
feet, and the manufactory gives employment to sixteen hands.
John Verner, soda and.
mineral water manufacturer, 124 Berkeley Street. The business was
established in 1867, the present owner purchasing in 1881 from A. Burns,
and in 1883 from James Walsh. The factory is 40 x 100 feet, and two
storeys high, and employ from ten to fourteen hands. Mr. Verner came to
Canada in 1881.
manufacturer of aerated waters, 481 Sherbourne Street, was born in
Ireland, and came to Canada with his parents 111 1839. He was engaged in
this business in Montreal previous to his settlement in Toronto in 1875.
His place has a frontage of 30 x 86, three storeys in height, and gives
employment to sixteen hands. Mr. Wilson has a medal from Philadelphia,
and one from Sydney ; his business extends from Port Arthur to Kingston.
James Adams, sail
maker, Turning's wharf, s a native of London, England, where he learned
his trade. He came to Canada in 1840, and first was engaged at his trade
in Quebec, afterwards removing to Kingston, where he stayed seven years.
He came to Toronto in 1851, and established himself in business on
Timing's wharf, but was burned out after he had been there three years.
He next removed to a tannery building which then occupied the site of
the present Walker House, where he remained four years, returning again
to Timing's wharf at the expiration of that time, where he has since
been extensively engaged as a sail manufacturer, tilling large contracts
for Government, w tents, flags, etc. He's the only one in this hue of
business in Toronto.
Dominion Saw and Lead
Works, 253 to 271 King Street West. Established in 1870 by Jas.
Robertson, of Montreal. This firm has increased its business to such an
extent that they now employ fifty hands. They manufacture all kinds of
saws, white lead, putty, lead pipe, shot and colours. A. McMichael is
Messrs. T. Fane & Co.,
bicycle manufacturers and importers. Sole makers of the celebrated
"Comet" bicycle, the only machine manufactured in the County of York.
Also sole agents for the well-known " Invincible " and other first-class
English bicycles and tricycles. Messrs. Fane have earned for themselves
a wide and well-deserved reputation.
The Fensom Elevator
Works, 34 to 38 Duke Street, John Fensom, proprietor, established in
1872, employs about twenty-five men ; manufactures hand, hydraulic, and
steam elevators. He does business not only m Toronto, but in adjoining
ciiies. Mr. Fensom settled in Toronto in 1846, and for several years
carried on the business of a machinist.
Graham & Co.,
proprietors of the Graham File Works, 73 Adelaide Street West, Toronto,
manufacturers of files and rasps. The following list of awards at the
exhibitions named testify to the reputation of the productions of this
firm : First prize and bronze medal at Toronto, 1879 and 1882; first
prize at Kingston, 1882; and at Guelph first prize in 1883. Sales last
year $9,000. Give employment to ten hands. Mr. T. Graham, founder of the
firm, was born near Sheffield, England, in 1834, where his Ancestors had
been engaged in the file trade for a century and a-half. Mr. Graham came
to Toronto and established his business here in 1874, from which period
to the present time he has devoted himself to the devolopment of this
Grosvenor, Chater &
Co., paper makers. Their paper works are in England and Wales, and
established as early as 1690. Their Toronto branch was established at 26
Church Street in 1882. CannilT Haight, manager, does exclusively a
wholesale business, supplying jobbers.
George Iebotson & Son,
manufacturers of cutlery, 12 Francis Street, started business in 1868.
Three men are employed. Mr. Ibbotson learned his trade in Sheffield,
England, and came to Toronto in 1862.
Lauder Bros. 39
Adelaide Street West, manufacturers of steam gauges, vacuum gauges,
engineers' and plumbers' brass goods, etc. Established in 1881; employ
H. Sells & Son,
manufacturers of apple cider and cider vinegar, established in 1881.
They were located at 55 Adelaide Street ; but they removed to their
present quarters, 952, 954. and Queen Street West, where they are also
engaged in manufacturing Sell's improved corn huskers and eider mills,
controlling the trade in that line, having patents on rive different
mills, Which they have managed for the past twenty years. They are also
manufacturers of Sell's patent friction clamp, which can he used for
straps, ropes, etc. The factory has a frontage of fifty feet and is four
storeys in height.
manufacturers of tassels and fringes, being the only one in this line of
business m the Province. Established in 1880 at No. 29 Front Street.
Employs a staff of forty-one hands. Mr. Silverstein only sells his
manufactured goods to wholesale houses. His trade has grown from the
smallest dimensions, and is now doing a business of over $40,000 per
year. Mr. Silverstein was born in Hungary, and came to Canada in 1880,
since which time he has been resident in Toronto.
W. J. Sutton & Co.,
hair cloth manufacturers, 962 Queen Street West, was established in
1882, the firm being composed of W. J. Sutton, sen'r, and W. J. Sutton,
jun'r, who are both of English birth. Previous to commencing business in
this city they were for twelve years engaged in the States. Their
factory is one of the first in the Dominion, where eight hands are
employed, and five hundred yards of hair cloth is produced weekly, woven
by seventeen of the finest improved American looms.
Taylor Brothers, paper
manufacturers, warehouses and offices 30 West Market Square. In 1845
John Taylor & Bros, erected their first mill on the Don River, and from
that modest commencement may be dated the connection of the name of
Taylor with the manufacture of paper m this city. On the death of John
Taylor the firm became Thomas Taylor & Bro., and on the retirement of
Thomas and George, the business was assumed by the three sons of George,
v: John F., George A. and William Taylor, who now compose the present
firm. They at present own three mills and employ one hundred hands,
their output being four tons every twelve hours.
R. Thorne & Co., 79
Richmond Street West, manufacturers of woven wire, spiral spring
mattresses, and exclusive manufacturers of "Johnson's" waggon gear and
Newton's patent shaft coupling. Established their business in 1880,
being the first of the kind in the city. Employ from six to twelve
hands, and three travelling agents. The firm received the highest award
given in 1882, viz., a bronze medal.
The Toronto Gun and
Climax Skate Manufacturing Company, 86 Yonge Street, was established in
1883. Twelve men are employed. The goods are sold on commission al) over
Canada, besides whiofc there is a good business done in the gun
repairing line. The following are the officers :—Orlando Dunn, president
and manager; John Hoskins, H. S. Strathy, John Dunn, and W. C. Adams,
manufacturer of butchers' tools, saws, etc., 177 King Street East. This
manufactory is the only one of its kind in the city, and gives
employment to six men. Mr. Wesiman also keeps general hardware, and
superintends all work done in his shop.
Westman & Baker,
printing press manufacturers, 119 Bay Street. This business was
established in 1874 by James H. and Samuel R. Baker, both natives of
Toronto. They are the only makers of this class of work in Canada, and
turn out Gordon presses, Beaver's cutting machines, Baker's binding
machines, and other work of a similar kind. Mr. West-man is a native of
Toronto, was born in 1848, and learned the trade of machinist with John
Fensom. Mr. Baker was born in Toronto in 1846, and learned his trade
with Dickey, Neil & Co.
Mouldings and Picture
Jamfs Cash & Co.,
manufacturers of mouldings and picture frames, 11 Colborne Street. This
business was first established on Gerrard Street by James Cash, in 1873.
The present co-partnership was formed in the spring of 1884. They employ
from ten to fifteen hands and do a wholesale business.
Manufacturing Company, 47-61 Hayter Streeet. This business was
established by C. G. Cobban in 1874, and came into possession of the
present firm in June, i88i,*being composed of the following: John Bacon
and Frank J. Phillips. About 110 hundred and twenty-five hands are
employed in the manufacture of mouldings, looking-glasses, frames and
all kinds of cabinet work. The firm also imports plate, German and
sheet-glass, making a specialty of plate-glass and silvering. In 1882,
they received a silver medal for mirrors at the Industrial Exhibition.
Toronto. The building has a frontage of 200 x 50 feet, and contains
three storeys, besides which there is a large yard for the storage of
lumber, etc. This firm ranks as one of the largest in the Dominion,
having a trade which extends from the Atlantic to the Pacific ocean.
Latham & Lowe,
manufacturers of clothing, 35 Scott Street, established their business
in 1881. They employ 100 hands, and two travelling salesmen, who
traverse the counties from Halifax to British Columbia.
Paints and Oils.
McKenzie, Musson & Co.,
Toronto Varnish Manufactory, corner of Strange Street and Eastern
Avenue. This business was established in 1873. Their manufactures
include all kinds of varnish and japans, with a specialty of a
high-class carriage, cabinet-makers', musical and japanners' instrument
varnishes.. Their producing capacity is from four hundred to live
hundred gallons daily, and they are the sole firm in the cit in this
line. Two travellers introduce their goods over Ontario and a portion of
the Lower Provinces. They were awarded extra prizes at the Provincial
Exhibitions of 1874, ^78 and 1879; diploma in 1880; bronze medals in
1881, 1882, 1883 and 1884 at the Industrial Exhibition, being the
highest prizes given at those exhibits.
The People's Oil
Company, 5 and 7 Church Street, was established in 1882 by W. J. Nichol.
The building, which is of brick, is 100x40 feet. The specialties are N.P.
engine machine oil, and gilt-edge burning oil. The business, which
amounts to $25,000 annually, has doubled since it was started. Mr.
Nichol contemplates enlarging to a considerable extent.
A. G. Peuciien, paint
manufacturer, corner of Front and Princess Streets. In the spring of
1879 this industry was commenced in a small way on the Esplanade. It
attained such proportions that it was doubled each succeeding year. In
1883 Mr. Peuchen erected his present commodious factory, which is 64 x
100 feet and four storeys high. He employs fruni twelve to fifteen men
and four travelling salesmen.
Queen City Oil Company,
30 Front Street East, was established in Toront-i by Samuel Rogers &
Co., in January, 1877, under the. name of the Queen City Oil Works,
which was changed to its present style in
1882, with Samuel
Rogers as manager. The works were on the Esplanade till 1882, when they
were removed to their present location. The manufactory is situated 011
Sherbourne Street, and is a brick structure 66 x 119 feet, with a wing
60 x 22. There are two brick warehouses on Princess Street, being
respectively 60 x 22 feet and 40 x 80 feet, the latter having a wing 25
x8o feet. There are also offices and cooper shops. Eighteen men. are
employed at the works ; nine in the office, and twelve on the road m
Ontario. At Montreal there :s a branch warehouse, where a large quantity
of oil is sold annually. The business has increased from time to time
until at present it reaches fully half a million of dollars a year. All
kinds of lubricating and refined oils are manufactured, and sold in
every part of the Dominion. The company owns six tank cars, which are
constantly kept busy on the road. In 1883 they received gold medals at
Toronto, Guelph and London.
Pianos, Organs, etc.
Agency of the Speight
Manufacturing Company, 501 Yonge Street, C. Chapman, manager. He is a
native of Lincolnshire, England, and came to Canada in 1846. He has been
manufacturers' agent for the last twenty years, handling pianos, etc.
James Coleman, organ
builder, 173 Dalhousie Street, is a native of the Isle of Wight,
England, and came to Canada in 1848. He settled in Toronto in 1851, and
commenced as carpenter and builder, which business eventually developed
into the present firm of organ builders, trading under the name of
Coleman & Sons.
Manufacturing Company, 85 Yonge Street. Established in 1883. Employ
about thirty men, and turn out about three instruments per week.
The Daniel Bell Organ
Company was established on King Street in 187^. In 1881 the business was
removed to 56-64 Pearl Street, where the manufacture of the Excelsior
Organ is carried on. Forty men are employed in turning out from fifteen
to eighteen organs weekly. In 1884 Mr. Joseph
Priestman became owner
of the business. The factory is three storeys in height, and has every
accommodation for doing good work.
piano manufacturer, 86 York Street. Mr. Heintzman first commenced
business in 1878 on Little Richmond Street, where he made his first ten
pianos, doing all his own work. In the following year he moved to 365
Queen Street, where he remained till 1881, when he removed to his
present location. He has so extended his business that he now employs
from fifty to sixty hands, and turns out eight pianos a week. He makes a
specialty of the Upright Piano. At the Industrial Exhibition of 1881 he
received a silver medal for producing a superior quality of tone in the
Upright piano. This was repeated in 1882 when he also received a bronze
medal for elaborate design and finish of case. In 1883 received an
illuminated address for excellent exhibit. Mr. Heintzman contemplates
making still further enlargements to his factory. He employs a force of
the very best workmen, among whom may be mentioned Jacob F. Ouosig, tone
and fine action regulator; O. Martin, foreman in the action department;
Mr. Louis Sclireiner, foreman in the varnishing and polishing
Theodore A. Heintzman,
piano manufacturer, 117 King Street Wes'. first established his business
on York Street in i860. In 1862 he moved to the corner of Duke and
George Streets, and in 1861 located at his present place He now employs
about one hundred and fifty men. and makes ii: >in twelve to fifteen
pianos weekly. Four travelling salesmen are employed, besides local
agents throughout the Province. Mr. Heintzman was born in Berlin,
Prussia, in 1817, and in 1850 settled in New York City, where he was
foreman in Lichte & Newman's piano manufactory for two years. He the \
removed to Buffalo where he remained till he came to Toronto. From his
early youth he has been a practical piano-maker.
E. Lye, 18 St. Albans,
manufacturer of pipe organs. Established his business in a small way in
1865 on Yonge Street, and moved to his present location in 1874. He J°es
work principally to order for churches.
Octavius Newcombe &
Co., manufacturers of square and upright pianos, 107 and 109 Church
Street ; warerooms corner of Church and Richmond Streets; piano-case
factory, 15 Queen Street East. This business was established in 1871 by
Mr. Newcombe and two others, and continued until 1878 when the present
firm was formed, the present commodious factory being soon after
erected. The leading upright styles are the Boudoir, the Salon and the
Cabinet-Grand. The Square pianos are also made in different styles. The
firm employs four travelling agents.
Wagnfr, Zeidler & Co.,
key-board manufacturers, and dealers in piano and organ materials,
factory 59 to 63 Adelaide Street West, offices and warerooms 116 Bay
Street. This business was established in 1879 by Carl Zeidler, and in
May 1880 was first carried on by the present firm which now gives
employment to forty-five men. Mr. Zeidler was the first in the Dominion
to establish this particular line of business. He was born in Berlin,
Prussia, in 1852, and settled in Toronto in 1878.
S. R. Warren & Son,
manufacturers of church organs, etc., corner Wellesley and Ontario
Streets. This business was established in 1830 b -S. R. W arren, in
Montreal, and was removed to this city in 1878. The main workshop is a
building two storeys in height, measuring 80 x 100 feet: office and
voicing rooms are 35 x 100, and thirty-seven feet in height. The
establishment also contains engine and boiler house, store and dirt
rooms (operated by Patent Common Sense Dry Apparatus), this block being
40 x 3 > feet. The buildings are heated by steam, thirty horse-power
boilers, and fifteen horse-power engine, and the business gives
employment to about thirty men. Then pipe organs received the gold
medals in 1879/80 in Toronto; silver medals in Montreal in 1861 ; and
ten diplomas at various fairs and different dates. There are nearly a
thousand of the firm's organs in use between Nova Scotia and British
R. S. Williams & Sons,
manufacturers of pianos ; factory 31 to 41 Hayter Street; office and
salesrooms, 143 Yonge Street. This business was established in 1854, ***
a small way, from twelve 10 fifteen hands being employed. It has been
increased from time to time to such an extent that at present employment
is given to about one hundred and fifty skilled workmen, who turn out
about twenty pianos and six organs per week. In 1854 this firm was the
first to introduce the making of melodeons, subsequently introducing
harmoniums ami organs, being the first in the Dominion in that line.
Their factory is 40 x 230, and is six storeys high. They have salesrooms
at 229 Dundas Street, London, besides local agents in other places. Ten
travelling salesmen are employed.
Northey & Co., purnp
manufacturers, proprietors and sole makers of " Northey's Patent Steam
Purnp," patented in 1878. Thomas Northey first established his business
in Hamilton and removed it to Toronto in 1878. Tohn P. Northey, the son
of the patentee, carries on business at the present lime, and employs
from twenty-five to fifty hands and two travellers. The works are
situated at the corner of Front and Parliament Streets.
Ontario Pump Company,
corner Spadina Avenue and Cecil Street; 'resident, Mr. O. R. Peck. The
business was established in 1873 for the manufacture of wooden
pumps. In 1882 was commenced the manufacture of iron pumps also; and
recently, in addition, the firm began to make automatic. windmills of
one to forty horse-power, for use in pumping or forcing water grinding
grain, cutting wood and running all kinds of machinery. 'They employ in
all about twenty-five men at the works, and have about „hirty-five
agents in different parts of the Dominion, sending their machines, etc.
to all districts between British Columbia and the Maritime Provinces.
Size of the factory 200 x 30 feet, with two and three flats. Mr. O. R.
Peck, President and Manager, is the eldest son of William Peck, a native
of Windfarthing, Norfolk, England, who came to Canada about 1840, and
commenced farming in Leeds County. Mr. O. R. Peck married Alice, fourth
daughter of the late John Hitchcock, of Sudbury, Suffolk, England.
Planing Mills, etc.
W. Burke, manager of
planing mill, 75 Richmond Street West. This mill was first built in
1869, was burned in 1873, and was partly rebuilt the
same year. The present
building is built of brick and stone, three storeys high, with basement,
and extends 208 feet on Sheppard Street and 164 on Richmond. It contains
twenty different shops, which are rented to various parties. The
machinery is propelled by a one hundred horse-power "Corliss Engine,"
built by Inglis & Hunter.
Henry Fox & Co.,
manufacturers of sashes, doors and blinds, and all kinds of building
materials, 324 to 330 King Street West. The business was established in
1871. Messrs. Fox & Co. are also builders and contractors, and during
the building season employ a much larger force than ordinarily, which is
from twenty-live to fifty men. They also do an extensive business in the
manufacture of show cases.
II. Joslin & Co.,
planing-niill, Severn Street, commenced business in 1878 on Ontario
Street. They moved to their" present premises in 1883. They make sashes,
doors and blinds, employing fifteen to twenty-five hands. The machinery
is propelled by a twenty-five horse-power engine.
Kennedy & Co., planing-mills,
McDonnell Square, manufacturers of sashes, doors and blinds. The
business was established by Mr. Walton in 1872, the present firm
obtaining possession about three years ago. Thirty hands are kept
employed in this factory, and amongst the various materials supplied,
builders' materials and supplies may be noted as a specialty. The firm
uses annually about one million five hundred thousand feet of lumber,
besides planing custom work to a like amount. In the year 1882 they
dressed nearly five hundred thousand feet of lumber for the Manitoba
Moir & McCall, 26
Sheppard Street, manufacturers of sash doors, blinds, mouldings,
flooring and sheeting, established their business in 1872, and employ in
this department about twenty-five hands. The firm also conducts a
budding and contracting trade in which it employs from twenty-five to
George Rathbone, 1038
Queen Street West, proprietor of planing mill, where are manufactured
sashes, doors, blinds, etc. Established in 1881, and at present employs
from twenty to thirty hands. Dresses custom lumber and keeps a general
stock of house furnishing.
proprietor of planing mill and circular saw works, Esplanade,
established his business in 1879; the machinery in his building being
driven by a fifteen horse-power engine. He makes a specialty of the
manufacture of cigar boxes. Mr. Simmington settled in Toronto in 1857,
and was for many years engaged in ship-work.
The Toronto Planing
Mill Company, corner Niagara and Tecumseh Streets, was established in
1879 un Lisgar Street, by Messrs. W. II. Essery & Reed, and formed into
a joint stock company some four years later, under the Presidency of
James Tennant, with a capital stock of $100,000. They employ fifty
hands, who are engaged in the manufacture of sashes, doors, blinds, and
hard and soft wood flooring. The size of the main building is 140 x 70
feet, and is two storeys high. In addition to a substantial boiler and
engine room of brick, there is another shed 140x30 feet, and a dry kiln
19 x 70 feet (Rundell's). The machinery is propelled by a two hundred
horse-power engine, with three boilers. The yard is accommodated with
two switches which connect with the railway. Lumber, kiln-dried, dressed
and re-shipped, a specialty.
J. P. Wagner,
contractor, etc., was born in Rhine Province, Prussia, 1825"' and
settled in Rochester, N.Y., in 1837. He early learned the trade of a
builder, and subsequently became a contractor. He came to Toronto in
1855, and undertook the erection of the Rossin House, which he completed
in 1897- Since then he has been steadily engaged as a builder and
contractor, and has erected many of the better buildings and .residences
in Toronto, among which are the houses of Mr. Perkins on College Street,
and of Mr. McMaster, Bloor Street, and Walker's store, King Street; he
also finished the Central Prison. in connection with his business Mr.
Wagner has a manufactory of sashes, doors, blinds, etc., at 59 to 63
Adelaide Street West. He is also senior partner in the Dominion Piano
and Organ Keyboard Company, and senior partner fin the Dominion
Show-case Manufacturing Company. . In the three businesses there are on
an average about one hundred and twenty hands employed.
John Wood was born in
Kent County, England, in 1815. He early learned the use of tools, and
became a thorough mechanic in different lines, principally as a
carpenter and millwright. He settled in Toronto in 1844, and in 1870
started a planing-mill on the corner of Front and Erin Streets, 43 x 100
feet, the machinery of which is propelled by a thirty horse-power
engine. The firm of John Wood & Sons also manufactures boxes and packing
cases. In 1835 Mr. Wood married Elizabeth Steers, who was born in Kent,
England, in 18x5. Of his family three sons and three daughters are
living, viz.: James, Philip, Amos, Emily, Sophia and Correna.
Ontario Scale Works,
123 Berkeley Street, S. E. Durnan, Proprietor; established, May, 1883.
He manufactures all kinds of scales from counter to platform. Local
C. Wilson & Co.,
Toronto Scale Works, 45 Esplanade. This is one of the oldest businesses
of the kind in the Dominion, having been established in 1851. Employment
is given to twenty-live men and eight travellers. Mr. C. Wilson was born
in Co. Armagh, Ireland, in 1818, and settled in Ottawa in 1840,
obtaining a position in the department of the Surveyor-General. He came
to Toronto in 1849.
Dominion Stained Glass
Company, Burke's Block, 77 Richmond Street West. N. T. Lyon, President;
John Harrison, Manager in cutting department; W. Wakefield, Manager in
lead, glazing, etc., department. This business was established in 1882,
and is at the present time one of the leading firms in the Dominion.
They do a large business in cut glass, and an extensive amount of church
work, and employ from fifteen to twenty hands. Mr. Lyon commenced the
manufacture of stained glass in this city in 1863, having then entered
the employment of Mr J. McCausland, with whom he remained eighteen
glass stabler, house, sign and ornamental painter, established his
business in 1852, and added the stained-glass works m 1857, being the
first of the kind in the city. He is now employing over fifty hands. Mr.
McCausland was born in County Armagh, Ireland, in 1829, and came to
Toronto in 1836.
Toronto Stone Co., 95
Queen Street East. Campbell, O'Brien & Co., proprietors, manufacturers
of all kinds of artificial stone, crocks, arches, keystones, etc.
Concrete floors a specialty. Established 1870 ; came into the present
hands in 1873. They received the first prize at the Ontario Industrial
Exhibition in 1883 for concrete flooring.
surgical machinist, inventor and sole manufacturer of the patent
perfected Spiral Spring Truss for cure of rupture. Any invention tending
to lessen human suffering, or assisting to ameliorate the unfortunate
condition of those who are crippled or deformed, is deserving of
patronage, and the inventor is worthy of being ranked among the
benefactors of his day and generation. Toronto, in the fifty years of
her existence, has produced many men of sterling worth, while others
have taken up their abode within her boundaries and done work reflecting
credit upon themselves and on the place of their adoption. Such a one is
Mr. Charles Cluthe, the well-known .surgical machinist of 118 King
Street West. Tie is thoroughly acquainted with the business in all its
details, having served his apprenticeship to it in his fatherland,
Germany. He landed on this continent seventeen or eighteen years ago,
and having worked at his trade for some time in several of the leading
cities of the States—New York, Cincinnati, Indianapolis—he came to
Canada in 1870, commencing business in a small way among his compatriots
in Berlin. Here he acquired the reputation of being a conscientious,
hard-working man, and his business increased in ts proportion to such an
extent that after three years he determined to remove to Hamilton. Mr.
Cluthe's good luck accompanied him there. Gradually he extended the
field of his operations, making periodical visits to outside towns, and
by judicious advertising, which is "the keystone of success," from
possessing a merely local reputation, he begat to acquire a provincial
one. Then it was that he recognized the necessity of locating at some
central place, where he would have the best facilities for shipping
goods and carrying on his operations. Accordingly about four years ago
he located in this city, where he keeps seven men constantly at work in
making different apparatuses for the relief or cure of deformities of
the human frame. Chief among these is his patent Spiral Spring Truss for
ruptured persons. The untold suffering from this complaint goes without
saying ; thousands are unable to pursue their daily toil, and endure
tortures of a terrible nature from hernia or rupture. It has therefore
been Mr. Cluthe's object to invent an instrument which should relieve
the suffering and restore them to health and strength. His long
experience in treating cases of this kind, especially among farmers and
working people, led him to experiment and make various improvements, so
that he has been enabled to perfect a truss which challenges
competition. The very best spring wire is used for its manufacture. The
top plate, which revolves freely, and gives to every side motion, turns
on a solid brass shoulder three-sixteenths of an inch, resting on a
washer on either side in brass, nickle-plated, making the lightest,
strongest, coolest, and most perfect truss pad in existence. In speaking
the tongue acts as a valve in the mouth, which causes a pressure
immediately on rupture. This pad is so perfect as to imitate instantly
the motion of the tongue on rupture. It is so arranged as to have
down-up pressure as holding with the finger. When pressure is brought to
bear on it a perfect contraction of the opening made by the rupture is
the result. For instance, press the hand with ringers and thumb extended
over the rupture, then draw fingers and thumb together, bringing the
flesh with them, and an exact illustration is afforded of what the
spiral pad does. In addition to this the air can circulate freely under
and around the pad in fact, as regards ventilation, the pad is not to be
excelled. The charge for this instrument is moderate—cheap, in fact, to
the sufferer, as thousands of persons in this country and the States can
affirm. Mr. Cluthe has agents all over the Dominion, and a branch office
at Buffalo, N.Y. He pays periodical visits to London, Hamilton, St.
Thomas, Peterboro', Ottawa, Kingston, Belleville, Owen Sound, Stratford,
Guelph, and other places, and at each of these does a large business. It
is estimated that since he commenced operations in Canada, nearly 50,000
trusses have been made and sold by him. In speaking of the instruments
he manufactures reference should be made to the machines for curing
curvature of the spine, distorted or disjointed bones, bad arms, legs,
club feet, etc. They are marvels of simplicity, and the benefit derived
from them is incalculable. Those who are so fortunate as to possess
sound bodies may perhaps question the fact that instruments such as
these can fulfil the functions ascribed to them, but if they take the
trouble to call at Mr. Cluthe's establishment, opposite the Rossin
House, that gentleman wall doubtless be willing to exhibit his large and
varied stock to the incredulous. Managing his business on legitimate
mercantile principles, honourable and liberal in his policy, never
refusing to afford substantial assistance to the suffering poor, it is a
pleasure to refer to his establishment as a representative one in its
line, and to the proprietor as a man of whom any place might be proud in
calling hin one of her citizens.
Beckett & Wickitt,
tannery, corner Cypress and Front Streets, office and warehouse, 30
Front Street, East. This business was established July, 1881. The size
of the buildings is respectively 40 x 80 feet and 40 x 65 feet, all four
storeys in height. They tan all kinds of common leather, and as a
specialty make coloured bag leather. They have also secured Dobson's
patent for the manufacture of grain, upper and lace leather, which is
considered the best wearing material made, the firm being the sole
manufacturers of this kmd in the Dominion. They were awarded a silver
medal of merit in 1873. They employ about forty men and run fifty-five
vats. The tannery was originally located in Whitby Township, being
started there by Mr. Wickett in 1869, who was awarded a silver medal at
the Philadelphia Centennial in 1876. J. B. Beckett, the first-mentioned
name in connection with the above firm, was born is Devonshire, England,
in 1828, and settled in Canada in 1846. He is a miller by trade, and for
some years managed the mill of the Hon. John Simpson at Bowmanville, and
while engaged there was awarded the first prize at the Exhibition held
in London, England, in 1851, for the best barrel of flour. He
subsequently owned mills at Whitby, and while there was awarded a silver
medal and diploma at the Paris (France) Exhibition of 1867. He was Reeve
of the Township of Whitby for twenty years, and was highly esteemed in
that section as a friend and neighbour. He settled in Toronto in 1882,
and joined Mr. Wickett in the above business.
W. G. Black,
manufacturer of tents, awnings, window blinds, etc., 8 King Street East,
established his business in this city in 1880, having conducted a
similar business in Hamilton several years. He is a native of Glasgow,
Scotland, and came to Canada in 1851. Mr. Black employs six hands in his
manufactory, and during last year cut over 4.000 yards of material for
MacFarlane, McKinlay &
Co. (Union Window Shade Company), 3: and 33 St. Alb an Street. This Ann
manufacture and deal largely in ornamental oil shades, shade cloth and
spring rollers, tassels, cords, fringes, shade pulls and ornaments. The
business was first established in Woodstock, Ontario, in 1878, by Mr.
MacFarlane who removed to this city n 1880. They employ thirty-five
hands, and two travelling agents, who secure orders from Halifax to
Winnipeg. In the years 1882-3 the firm received a silver medal at the
Toronto Industrial Fair ; also bronze medal in 1882. They received two
bronze medals and diploma at the St. John, New Brunswick, Exhibition in
1883. From a small beginning the business of this firm has rapidly
increased, and at present they do fully $60,000 annually. Their
specialty is the Hartshorn spring roller, of which they hold the sole
agency in Canada. Their building is 45 x 200 feet, with a height of two
M. J. Ottman & Co.,
417J Queen Street West, trading under the name of "The Toronto Window
Shade Company," manufacturers and dealers in plain and decorated
oil-finished hand-made cloth shades and spring rollers for stores and
dwellings. The business was established in 1882, and has extended
greatly since its commencement, doing a rapidly increasing trade in the
rural districts. The members of the firm are practical decorators and
designers—no small advantage in these days of competition. Mr. Ottman is
a native of the United States.
John Wood, manufacturer
of window shades, 464 Yonge Street.