The Live Cattle Export
This business, which now forms one of the principal branches of the
general export trade of Ontario, .s comparatively new, but of rapid
growth — its inauguration only dating some ten years back. At an earlier
date than this—somewhere about 1872—the tariff changes in the United
States seriously interfered with the exportation of dead meat to that
country, and Canadian exporters began to look about for another market.
England was tried, and for a couple of years considerable consignments
were shipped thither. The venture, however, proved unsuccessful, and in
1874 Mr. Garrett F.
Frankland determined to attempt the exportation of live stock to Great
Britain. Before maturing his plans, he took the precaution of visiting
the Mother Country, and in tha year mentioned he visited in turn London,
Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield, Leeds, Derby, Cardiff,
Glasgow and Edinburgh. During this trip he became convinced of the
profit to be derived from Canadian stock-raising for the purpose of
exportation to England, and on returning to Canada lost no tune in
carrying out the idea he had originated. On the ist of July in the
following year (1875), Mr. Frankland shipped 190 head of live stock from
Montreal—the first shipment of the kind made from any port on this
continent. Tne industry, once started, assumed enormous proportions, Mr.
Frankland and his associates exporting in some years as much as one and
a quarter million dollars' worth. He has also done the country a signal
service by raising the price of cattle from $25 to $30 a head. He was
also instrumental in causing the Corporation of Liverpool to expend over
$200,000 for the accommodation of live stock upon arrival at that port,
thus relieving the suffering caused by the exposure of the cattle during
the twelve hours' detention in quarantine required by the Imperial
Government. In recognition of his valuable services, Mr. Frankland was
entertained at a banquet at the Walker House in 1876, on which occasion
he was presented with an illuminated address. He was also presented with
a valuable clock at the City Arms Hotel, Toronto, and with a service of
silver plate at Liverpool in 1879.
The following is a list of the principal
Toronto firms engaged in the live cattle export trade:
Andrew' Wallace Aikens,
a native of Peel County, and a farmer by occupation, has been
extensively connected with the export cattle trade from its first
inception. From the year 1863 until he engaged in the European
exportation of cattle, he had been engaged in shipping stock to the
United States. Mr. Aikens is one of the few engaged in this line of
business who has made a success of it. He ^s at present engaged n
exporting to Europe and in the feeding of stock.
James Crawford, 86
Givens Street, cattle exporter, commenced to export cattle in 1876 on
his own account, and has ever since been engaged n the same business,
shipping in some years over six thousand sheep and four thousand cattle.
He settled in Toronto in 1864; and has spent his entire life in the
Thomas Crawford, 97
Givens Street, cattle dealer and exporter, comenced his occupation while
very young in connection with his father, and at present is a large
dealer, sending to Montreal several cardoads weekly, as well as being
engaged in exporting since 1877.
John Dunne, 106 Givens
Street, cattle exporter, commenced to ship cattle to the U.S. in 1867,
and to the Old Country ten years later. He is one of the pioneers of
this industry, and Is still engaged, along with others, in the
exportation of cattle and sheep.
C. Flanagan was born .n
the County of Limerick. Ireland, n 1844, and settled in Toronto with his
father's family in 1848. He early learned his trade of butcher, and
commenced 011 his own account in a small way in 1864. He has since been
engaged, both as a wholesale butcher and live stock exporter, being
connected with the firm of Thompson, Flanagan & Blong.
Wm. J. McClelland, 31
Dundas Street, cattle dealer, established his bus, less in 1869. He
exported stock to the U.S. in 1870 and 1871, and to England in 1877 in
connection with Rogers, Lambert & Ilallam, in which trade he has ever
since been engaged. He also ships store steers to Buffalo.
G. D. Morse was born in
Cleveland, 01 o, in 1834, and settled in Toronto in 1837. In partnership
with his brother he commenced butchering in 1848, and continued the
business for four years, after which he went to Australia, where he
remained 1*1 til 1859. On his return he resumed his old business, which
he carried on for two years, afterwards entering into the more extensive
undertaking of shipping to the United States. On the burning of
Gooderham's Distillery in 1869, Mr. Morse purchased the Chippawa
Distillery and conducted the same for two years, feeding stock there. He
sold out in 1871 and returned to this city, commencing the Morse Soap
Works, which he operated unti April, 1878. On Morrison & Taylor becoming
proprietors of this establishment Mr. Morse again commenced feeding, his
shipments being, however, to the Old Country, and in connection with
others he still continues in the trade. He owns a farm of two hundred
and twenty-five acres on Yonge Street, where he feeds his cattle.
Frank Rogers, 57 Dundas
Street, cattle dealer, commenced his business as early as 1859. In 1877
he was interested in the export trade in connection with Mr. McClelland
and Alderman Hallam, and has been engaged, more or less, in that ever
A. J. Thomson was born
in the County of Armagh. Ireland, in 1842, and settled m Toronto in
1858. lie has throughout his career been chiefly connected with the
cattle trade, and from 1867 to 1870 was engaged m exporting cattle to
the United States. In 1877, in connection with George Denoon, A. Reeve,
Edward Lemon and William Williamson, he commenced exporting to England,
and during the first year shipped about seven thousand head of cattle.
The firm is at present known as Thompson, Flanagan & Blong.
The Local Cattle
Wm. Cradock, 28 Foxley
Street, cattle drover, was born in Toronto, and has always been engaged
in buying and selling stock. He was in the export trade Jn 1881-3, as
dealer in sheep, with Mr. Grabtrett.
P. J. Flanagan, cattle
dealer, St. Lawrence Market, buys and sells stock of all kinds. He has
generally been engaged in butchering and cattle dealing.
W. W. Hodgson was born
in Toronto in 1844, and was early initiated m the butchering business.
He is at present care-taker of the Toronto Cattle Market, and resides on
Wellington Avenue. His father, William Hodgson, was a native of
Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, settled in Toronto in 1834, and died in
William Kinnar, cattle
drover, 6 Dufferin Street, settled in Toronto in 1863. He started
immediately to buy and sell stock, exported largely to the United States
cattle, sheep and hogs, etc. He was engaged irt shipping dressed hogs to
Belfast in 1879. He now buys and sells.
William Lkvack, cattle
dealer and wholesale butcher, 54 Givens Street, established his business
in 1869. He building and sells cattle in the country, and his business
is principally butchering. He employs seven men for slaughtering cattle
and sheep. They slaughter from ninety to one hundred and twenty cattle
and from three to four hundred sheep a week, besides calves.
James Murton, cattle
dealer and wholesale butcher, Dundas Street, established his business in
1870. He kids about forty head of cattle weekly, and does a local trade.
R. Pugsley resides at
Davisviile,' being a drover and wholesale butcher. He kills about twenty
head of stock weekly, and sells as many more on foot. He has been at
times interested >n the export trade.
Sidney H. Smith, cattle
dealer, Avenue Road, was born in Toronto in 1857. His father, Henry
Smith, was a native of Hull, Yorkshire, England, and settled in Toronto
in 1849, and died April 19th, 1882. The latter was also engaged m cattle
dealing. Sidney commenced business about 1875, and buys for the Toronto
and Montreal markets.
J. E. Verral,
commission merchant, deals in cattle, sheep, lambs and hogs. Stock
bought and sold on commission. Commenced business 1875-Office, 615 King
Street West. All orders promptly attended to.