STOUFFVILLK lies partly
in the Township of Markham and partly in Whitchurch, the main street of
the village being the township line. It is near the eastern boundary of
the county, and is a station twenty-eight miles from Toronto on the
Toronto and Nipissing Railway. The Lake Simcoe Junction Line connects
with the former road at this point. The village derives its name from
Abraham Stouffer, the original proprietor of the site. The orthography
was for some time unsettled, the family name often appearing as
"Stover," or "Stofer," and the locality being known as "Stoversville, or
"Stauffville," under which latter designation it is referred to in
"Smith's Canada," as a flourishing little village of recent date,
containing about 350 inhabitants, a grist and oatmeal mill, saw-mill,
foundry, and tannery, and a Congregational church. This was in 1851.
Since that time the growth of the place has been steady, and the census
of 1881 gives the population as 866. It has now, in addition to the
Congregational place of worship, Methodist, Presbyterian, Episcopal, and
Stouffville became an
incorporated village in 1877, the first municipal officers being, James
Dougherty, reeve ; J. G. Reesor, William Leaney, G. E. Freel, and J.
Gibney, councillors, and H. W. Woodgate, clerk. The present reeve is W.
B. Sanders, and Air. Woodgate still retains the clerkship. Stouffville
has a flourishing Mechanics' Institute, incorporated in 1878, and
according to the latest returns comprising 111 members. Its library
contains 793 volumes, the number issued during the year being 999. The
Masonic body is represented by Bichardson Lodge, No. 136.
was divided in the matter of Parliamentary representation by the
township line, the Whitchurch section belonging to North York, and the
Markham portion to East York. By the Act of 1882, for the redistribution
of the Dominion constituencies, the village as a whole was annexed to
West Ontario, together with Whitchurch and New^market.