Search just our sites by using our customised site search engine


Click here to get a Printer Friendly PageSmiley

Click here to learn more about MyHeritage and get free genealogy resources

History of Toronto and County of York in Ontario
Part III: Township of King


KING has the largest area of any township in the County of York, its total extent being 86,014 acres. It is situated north of Vaughan, and on the west side of Yonge Street. Its northern boundary is the Holland River, which divides it from West Gwillimbury and Tecurnseth, and on the west, n the adjoining County of Peel, is the Township of Albion. King has twelve concessions, numbered westward from Yonge Street, but the last two arc deficient, as the county line does not run parallel with Yonge Street.

The township was first laid out in 1800 by Surveyor Stegmann. The survey was continued from time to time by others, being completed in 1859 by Mr. Whelock, P.L.S. Some alterations in its boundaries were made in 1851, when the County of Simcoe was organized, and the portion of the township known as North King was detached from West Gwillimbury and annexed to King.

The following are the original patentees for the township as given in the "Domesday Book," exclusive of that portion known as North King, which was subsequently annexed,:—

1797—Thomas Hind, John McKay, Edward Wright, Thomas Phillips, William McClellan, Archibald Thompson, Edward Wright.

1799—Daniel Rose, Alexander Gardnar.

1801—-John Cole, Mary McDonnell, James Selloch, Jeremiah Taylor, Mary Lutz, David Bessey, Elizabeth Ross, Joseph Gillie, Jonathan Sells, Mary Gordon, Sarah Playter, Daniel Nixon, Dorothy Burger, Anthony Hollingshead, William Crowder, WTilliam Smith, Caty Brown.

1802—Henry Harman, James Cody, P. Cody, James Gilbert, Isaac Phillips, Nathaniel Gamble, jun'r, Alexander Gardner, Eliza Ghent, Hepzibah McWilliams, Lucretia Stewart, Marianne Williams, Pierre Protim, Charles Jabbin, Matthew Hern, Jenny Cairn, Cathaiine Walker, Fred. Lewis Mills, Ei Sknner, E. Wright, Sarah Vansicklen, Henry Windeokar, George Thompson ^Robert Innes, Christopher Harrison, Jonathan Kincey, James Newkirk. Chloe McDonnell, Hannah Palmer. James Osborn, Titus Doran, Margaret Puckner, John Droughner, Philip Pender, Mary Buclmar, Mary Rogers, A. Rogers, Richard Pattinson, Catherine Hesse, Joseph Dennis, Denjarnin Wells, John Latteridge, Aaron Crefas, Mary Sprmger, Duncan Gilchrist, William Gilchrist, Neil Gilchrist, Eleanor Nugent, Charles Gisso, Thomas Walker, David Eraser, John Chishohn, Bernard Maisonville, Margaret Smith, Joseph Dean, Abin Miner, Alice Forsyth, James Cannon, Marie Joseph Gouin, Alexis Maisonville, William Farr> John Van Zantee, Phoebe AdaP, Benjamin Springer, Christopher Culp.

1803—Jacob Crane, jun'r, William Kennedy, William Hughes, Isaac Hollingshead, James Fulton, Rachel Skinner, Mary Rott, Martin Fuitz, Elizabeth Newkirk, John File, Hugh Heward, Elizabeth Cline, Rosanna Fairis, Martha McKirbie, Alexander Clendenning, William Lee, John McMicking, Elizabeth Robertson, Mary Smith, George Stewart, jun'r, Mary Ward, William Applegarth, Elizabeth Fogelalay, Joshua Applegarth, John Applegarth, Andrew Wilson, Hugh Wilson, James Hunter, Abraham Astlestine, William Emery, William Crumb, William Burk, Archibald Mitchell, Elizabeth Hogellang, Sarah File, Caleb Swayze, David Van Every, jun'r, Jane Hover, Elizabeth Wright, Sarah Ward, Sarah Mann, John Stoner, Valentine Stoner, Mary Myers, William Macdonell, Annie Turner, Ann Jones, Anna Broughmer, Christopher Overholk.

1804—James Burgess, Rufus Rogers, Asa Rogers, George ©'Kill Stewart, Samuel McKirbie, Mary Thompson, D. Secord, Sarah Boyles, Sarah Wagstaff, Mary Cushman, Elizabeth McKenzie, Ann McDonald, Isaac Astlestine, Deborah Hill, Daniel Young, Hannah Coldwell, John Minthorn.

1805— Daniel Jackson, Mary Moody, Win. Tyler, Isaac Rogers, David Palmer, jun'r, Mary Kithinan, Marvin Hunter, Garrett Scram, Gertrand Plato, John Wilson, Catherine Farr, Sol. Austin, jun'r, Charles Stewart.

1806—Rene Augustin Cornte de Chains, John Dean Pisk.

1807—Lieut.-Col. Augustin Poyton.

1808—Joseph Minthorn, Elizabeth Hassun.

1809—Murdoch McLeod, Wm. Weer.

1810—Abraham Webster.

1812—John Haviland, Rev. Clarke.

1813—Henry Bonnell.

1814—John McDonald.

1815—Wm. Moore.

1816—Thos. Whittaker.

1817—Rosannah -Ferns.

1827—Patrick Harlney.

182G—Sarah Lotteridge.

1830—N. Gamble.

1833—James Lloyd, Stephen Bissonette.

1832—John Scott, Ann Purvis, Elizabeth Clow.

1835 —Hannah Cowell, Peter Rankin, John Proctor, Jeremiah Smith.

1S37—Peter Wintermute.

1838—John Fulton, Bernis Baynam, William Boyle, Chas. Tomlinson.

1839—R. Maehell, Richard Perry, J. Edmunds.

1840—James Macaulay, Win] Brydon, John Grant, Wifiam H. Moore, Rev. John Rolph, Jeremiah W. Dawson.

1841—James Henderson.

1842—Thos. Irvin.

1843—John Rodenhurst, Martin Snider, William Proudfoot, Isaac Gude.

1844—Robert Cathgart, Samuel Pearson.

1845—Wm. Patton, Thomas Allen Stayner.

1846—'W. I). Parker.

1847—Alex. Brown, Philip Boisverd, Isaiah Gardner, William Ilane, John Fogart.

1848—Neil Wiikie.

1830—Patrick Tridnor, John Allen Nibbe.

1853—Jeremiah P. Cummins, Rev. Richard Edmund Tyrwhitt, Septimus Tyrwhitt.

1854—Thomas McFee.

1860—Ben' am in Pearson.

A considerable area of land lying in different concessions was also granted to the Canada Company.

When the alteration in the township iines took place in 1851 the first concession of West Gwillimbury, lying east of the Holland River, was annexed to East Gwillimbury. The remainder of the portion of that township east of the river, forming a triangular-shaped section terminating in a long, narrow strip running along the northern boundary of King, became part of the latter township. The land of north King, as a rule, is swampy, and not ht for cultivation. Much of it still remains in the hands of the Government, but many lots have been patented. The following names appear on the list of grantees:

1805—Obadiah Rogers, Obadiah Griffin, Bethuel Huntley; 1807— Ann Dennis, Abraham Nelles; 1808—Abraham Vanalstine; 1812-John Haviland; 1840—John Darling ; 1843—William Proudfoot; 1845— George Lount; 1847—Ebeny Doan; 1849—S. Watson. The Canada Company also obtained some lots in this section, and numerous patents have been issued during later years.

The predominant character of the soil is clay loam. In the western portion of the township an area amounting to about 30 per cent, of the whole is of heavy clay, of the average depth of eighteen to twenty-four inches. Clay loam prevails in the eastern, central and southern sections, constituting about 40 per cent, of the whole, the average depth of the surface seal being twelve to fifteen inches, with a subsod of clay. In the northern section there are considerable tracts of rich, black loam, of an average depth of from two to eight feet, comprising about 12 per cent, of the total acreage. In various parts there are areas of sandy loam of a depth of from six to ten inches over a clay subsod, being about fifteen per cent, of the whole township. Two and a-half per cent, of the soil is deep sand, and gravel beds, also of considerable depth, are also met with. The larger portion of the land is undulating, about one-fifth being so hilly as to lessen its value for agricultural purposes. Swamps and wet springy land comprise 5 per cent, of the area, principally situated along the Holland River, and an equal proportion is bottom-land.

The Oak Ridges, forming the height of land between lakes Ontario and Simcoe, run through the centre of the township from east to west. The region is hilly and broken, and contains a number of lakes and ponds. Some of these are the source of the numerous tributaries of the Humber and Holland Rivers. Boulders displaying a mixture of the characteristics of the Laurentian, Silurian and Huronian formations are met with :n this region.

The proportion of first-class land is comparatively small, being only 25 per cent., the average price of which is $70 per acre. The second-class land comprises 60 per cent, of the whole, and its average value is estimated at $45. Third-class land brings S25 per acre, and constitutes 15 per cent, of the total acreage. Three-fourths of the farm buildings are first-class in point of materials and construction, and about the same proportion of the farms are well fenced. Underdrainage is adopted on about one-tenth of the number. Four-fifths of the farmers use some description of artificial fertilizer—the kinds principally employed being plaster and salt.

As nearly as can be given, the following is the proportion of the area given to the leading crops :—Fall wheat, 15 per cent.; spring wheat, 12 per cent.; barley, 8 per ccnt.; oats, 14 per cent.; peas, 8 per cent.; potatoes and turnips, 1 per ceni. each; other root crops, % per cent.; hay, 12 per cent. Pasture lands occupy an area of 15 per cent., and orchards about 1 per cent.

The average yield per acre of the staple crops is as follows:—Fall wheat, 20 bushels; spring wheat, 12 bushels; barley, 20 bushels; oats, 35 bushels; peas, 15 bushels; potatoes, 100 bushels; turnips, 250 bushels; other root crops, 300 bushels; hav, 1 ton.

Stock-raising is carried on to a greater extent in King than in any other township n the country. In 1881 the number of cattle was 4,088, horses, 2,917; sheep, 5,337; and hogs, 2.282. The larger proportion of these are the common varieties, but in the last decade some importations of thoroughbreds have been introduced, comprising Shorthorn cattle, Southdown, Cotswold and Leicester sheep, Clydesdale horses, and Berkshire and Suffolk hogs. Among the proprietors of thoroughbred stock are : George Hollingshead, John Beasle3r, James Cherry, iun'r, and William Jardine, in the western part of the township j and George N. Heacock, Seth Peacock, Simeon Lemon, R. J. Kennedy, W. Linton, Robert Riddell, and John C. Tawse, in the eastern portion.

The municipal records of King are unusually complete; the minutes of the township meetings as far back as 1809 being still extant, and throwing a good deal of light on the early condition of the community. A return of the number of inhabitants taken on March 28th, 1809, shows thirty-three heads of families, and a total population of 160. The names are as follows : James Rogers, John Doan, Enos Dermis, Amos Hughes, Isaac Rogers, William Doan, Joseph Doan, Mahlon Doan, Ebenezer Doan, Rafus Rogers, Levi Dennis, Nathaniel Gamble, jun'r, Isaac Phillips, Isaac Hollingshead. Thomas Taylor, John Nichol, Benjamin Pearson, William Hughes, Joseph Cody, Wm. Haines, Jacob Hollingshead, William Tyler, Wm. Kennedy, Henry Ilarman, Isaac Davis, Caleb McWilliams, John Devine, David Love, James Love, John Hunter, Michael St. John, Henry Sagle and Benjamin Kester. In 1811 the totai number of inhabitants was 206. In 1812 there were 42 families and 226 inhabitants. A decrease in population was caused by the war with the United States, which broke out in that year, and three years afterward the inhabitants only numbered 209. But after peace was restored the population began to increase more rapidly, and in 1823 there were 67 families, and the total number of inhabitants was 394. In 1842 the population numbered 2,625. In the course of eight years it more than doubled the number, in 1850 being 5,574. In 1871 it reached its maximum, the Government census of that year showing a total population of 7,482. In 18S1 it had fallen to 6,664. Of the latter number 5,248 were of Canadian birth. Those of English descent numbered 2,872; 2,047 were of Irish, and 1,087 Scotch extraction. The occupiers of land were 907 in number, of whom 611 were the owners of their holdings. The total area occupied was 79,209 acres, of which 59,149 were improved. Of this 49,488 acres were devoted to held crops, 8,402 acres to pasturage, and 1,259 to gardens and orchards.

In 1849, the agricultural produce comprised 149,000 bushels of wheat, 5,000 bushels of barley, 8,000 bushels of oats, 37,000 bushels of peas, 52,000 bushels of potatoes, and 14,000 bushels of turnips.

The census of 1881 gives the yield as follows:—200,185 bushels of wheat, 121,776 bushels of barley, 214,506 bushels of oats, 81,875 bushels of peas and beans, 76,688 bushels of potatoes, 03,701 bushels of turnips, 30,164 bushels of other roots, 8,670 tons of hay and 1,964 bushels of grass and clover seed.

The municipal records for 1809 give the officials for that year as follows : Town clerk, William Haines ; assessors Jacob Hollmgshead and William Hughes ; collector, William Tyler ; overseers of the roads, Henry Harman, Thomas Taylor, Rufus Rogers ; pound-keeper, Isaac Hollingshead ; town wardens, William Kennedy and John Nichol. The following minutes are recorded:—

"It is agreed that the fences shall be lawful that are five feet high, two feet of which shall not be more than four inches between the rails, and the other part not more than six inches between the rails, except liners, which shall not exceed fifteen inches."

It is agreed that hogs shall be free commoners.

In 1810 the following were the township officers:—William Haines, town clerk; Benjamin Pearson and William Doan, assessors; Win. Tyler, collector; David Love, John Hunter, Jacob Hohingshead, Thomas Taylor and Juhn Doan, overseers of the roads ; Nathaniel Gamble, jur'r, pound-keeper ; Henry Harman and William Hughes, town wardens.

William Haines held the position of town clcrk until 1836, when he was succeeded in office by John R. Kennedy. The township meetings from 1810 until 1838, with one or two exceptions, were held at the house of Nathaniel Gamble, jun'r. Subsequent meeting places were Samuel Clay's, James Graham's tavern, and Goat's Inn.

In 1843, Joel Hughes and William Brydon were town wardens; Andrew Sloan, town clerk; Nathaniel Pearson, assessor; Richard Murphy, collector; Barnes Beynon, Thos. Cosford, John Tawse, M.A., Jacob Pemon, Isaiah Tyson, Donald McCallurn and Capt. A. Armstrong, school coinmis-sioners; and Thomas Cosford, Thomas W. Tyson and Henry Stewart, district councillors. In 1844, John R. Kennedy became town clerk, the district councillors being the same as the preceding year. Mr. Kennedy held the clerkship until 1847. The officers for that year were: Town wardens, John McKinley, Thomas Cosford and James Hunter; assessor, James O'Brien; collector, Andrew Sloan; town clerk, Joseph Wood. In 1848, the district councillors were Henry Stewart and Thomas W. Tyson; town wardens, Robert Parker, John Wells and Benjamin Jennings  assessor, James McCallum; collector, Isaac Dennis. In 1850 the present system of municipal organization came into force, and the district councillors were replaced by reeves and deputy-reeves—the first reeve was George Hughes, Joseph Wells being deputy. In 1851 Mr. Hughes was re-elected and Septimus Tyrwhitt chosen deputy. In 1852 Stephen Tyrwhitt was reeve and Joseph Wells deputy-reeve. George Hughes occupied the reeveship again during the period 1853-7, and was succeeded in 1858 by j. D. Phillips, who had previously been deputy-reeve for three years. A. Armstrong filled the chair in 1859, and the next year gave place to James P. Wells, who had held the second place two years before. Air. Wells remained in office until 1864, when Albert Webb was elected. In 1865 Joel Phillips was chosen reeve. Mr. Webb had another innings in 1866. T. Tyson and J. Stokes followed each for one year, and Air. Webb served a third term of two years duration. Among the later occupants of the position are J. D. Phillips, Joel Phillips and Joseph Stokes. The township officers for 1884 are E. J. Davis, King, reeve; Charles Irwin, Lloydtown, 1st deputy-reeve; Michael J. C Neill, Holly Park. 2nd deputy-reeve; Thomas Wilson, Newmarket, 3rd deputy-reeve; Robert Norman, councillor; Joseph Wood, township clerk; Gershom Proctor, treasurer; John Leigh and William Brydon, assessors; Charles Fuller and William Winter, collectors; John D. Phillips, township engineer.

Air. Wood has filled the office of clerk since 1847. He is an Englishman by birth, and came to Canada in 1830 when quite young. The family, after remaining in York for a year, removed to Whitchurch, near Aurora. In 1835 they took up land in the 6th concession of King. Air. Wood is well known as a prosperous and public-spirited citizen, and the fact that he has been clerk for thirty-seven years continuously shows how highly his services in that capacity are appreciated.

The principal villages of King are Lloydtown and Schomberg, near the northern boundary, in the western part of the township; Linton, in the eighth concession, towards the centre; Nobleton, in the south-west; Pottageville, Kettleby and Grenville, in the northern section; and Laskay, King Horn, King, Eversley, Temperanceville, Springhill and Oak Ridges, in the south and south-east. Aurora is partly in King and partly in Whitchurch. The Northern Railway runs across the south-eastern section and enters Whitchurch near Aurora. After a lengthy detour to the eastward through that township it crosses the swamp lands of North King in a north-westerly direction. Its most important station in the township is at the thriving Village of King, about a mile from the southern boundary, which is a stirring and lively place, with a population of about 120.

Lloydtown is a place of some note in the annals of York County. It early became one of the principal centres in the north, and was one of the rallying points of the Mackenzie rising in 1837. A description of the village and the neighbouring country is given in Smith's "Canada." There have been of course many changes since that time. Entering the township from the west the road known as the "tenth line " leads to the village. The first portion of the road is very hilly, and the timber consists of pine and hardwood intermixed. About four miles before reaching Lloydtown you cross a cedar swamp, after which the timber becomes principally pine and hemlock for the next two miles; large tracts of land borderng the road being still (1851) covered with wood; the country then opens, and large cleanings lie before and on either side of you. The character of the timber here becomes changed, and a large proportion of it s hardwood. The soil the whole distance is of a loamy character, varying in consistence. The country generally has a new appearance, a large portion of the stumps still standing in the fields, and the houses and farm buildings are poor with few exceptions. The road the whole distance is hilly, or composed of a succession of rolling ridges. The population of Lloydtown is given as 350. "The village," Smith goes on to say, "is situated in the midst of a hilly country. The west branch of the Holland River runs through the village, and a grist mill having three run of stones, a saw mill, and a carding and fulling mill, are situated on it. The grist mill has a fall of twenty-five feet. There are also in the village two tanneries, a post-office, and two churches —Episcopal and Methodist. Lloydtown is twelve miles from Yonge Street, nine miles from the Vaughan Plank Road, sixteen miles from Holland Landing, nine miles from Pond Head, twelve and a-half from Bradford, and fourteen from Newmarket. At about a mile from Lloydtown, situated to the north-east, is a small village called Brownside. It contains 138 inhabitants, a grist mill, saw mill, and tannery, and a church open to all denominations. Brownsville is also situated on the west branch of the Holland River, which has here a fall of twenty feet." The name was subsequently changed to Schomberg. The road east from Lloydtown to Kettleby, or as it was then more generally known, Tyrwhitt's Mills, is described as very hilly, and for part of the distance timbered with cedar, hemlock and pine, with a little hardwood intermixed.

It was at Lloydtown that the second of the series of public meetings in support of Mackenzie's agitation in 1837 was held. At a meeting of Reformers, held at John Doel's Brewery, Toronto, on the 28th of July in that year, a plan submitted by Mr. Mackenzie "for uniting, organizing, and registering the Reformers of Upper Canada" was adopted, under which societies were to be established all through the Province as the machinery of agitation. The first outside meeting under this plan was held at Newmarket, the second at Lloydtown, on the 5th of August. It was addressed by Messrs. W. L. Mackenzie, Jesse Lloyd, Samuel Lount, and David Gibson, all of whom afterwards took a prominent part in the insurrection. Seventeen resolutions were passed. Any intention of resorting to arms was disclaimed. One of the resolutions declared that " A bribed and pensioned band of official hirelings and expectants, falsely assuming the character of the representatives of the people of Upper Canada, corrupted by offices, wealth, and honours bestowed upon their influential members by Sir F. B. Head, since they took their seats in the House of Assembly, have refused to allow a free trial to candidates ready to contest their seats, have refused to order new elections for members who have accepted places of gain under the Government, have refused to institute a free and constitutional inquiry into corruptions practised at the elections through Sir F. B. Head's patent deeds and otherwise; and although they were returned for the constitutional period which the death of the King has brought near to a close, they have violated the most solemn covenant of the British Constitution by resolving that their pretended power of legislation shall continue over us three years longer than they were appointed to act." Canadian Independence was advocated on the ground that British connection involved a State Church, an "unnatural aristocracy, party privilege, public debt, and general suppression." It was suggested that the country should pay a money price for its freedom in order that civil war might be avoided, 'and a resort to the ballot, was urged, would show a large majority in favour of dissolving the colonial bond. The meeting declared for elective officials, including the judiciary. Some very significant devices were displayed, including a flag which bore a large star, surrounded by six smaller lustres, and in the centre a Death's head with the inscription, "Liberty or Death." Another flag displayed the word "Liberty" in bold relief, with figures of pikes, swords, muskets and cannon. It had been intended to erect a liberty pole one hundred feet in height, but the design was abandoned. The meeting elected as delegates to the convention proposed to be held in Toronto, Dr. W. W. Baldwin, Jesse Lloyd, James Grey, Mark Learmont, John Lawson and Gerard Irwin.

Mr. Mackenzie visited Lloydtown again a week or two before the outbreak, in order to complete the arrangements for a descent upon Toronto. It was here that he announced his determination not to assume a position of military command on account of the lack of training and experience requisite to qualify irm for it. Samuel Lount and Anthony Anderson Avere then assigned leading positions. Lloydtown sent a large contingent to the force finally mustered by the insurgents. They were principally armed with rude pikes, few possessing firearms.

The present population of Lloydtown is about four hundred, and it is a prosperous and flourishing community.

The Township of King has nineteen school sections, with two unions having houses in the township, and three unions with houses outside the township.

No. 1, union with Whitchurch, is a double frame house on Yonge Street, three miles south of Aurora. Daniel Gregory is teacher. The average from King is 17; from Whitchurch, 20.

No. 2, Spring Hill School, stands on theeast end of lot 7, 4th concession. It is a good brick house with two rooms. Teacher, John T. Saigeon. Average, 54.

No. 3, union with Whitchurch, has its house in Whitchurch, and will be referred to under that township.

No. 4, the Laskay School, is situated on lot 7 in the 5th concession, west end, half a mile north of Laskay. It is a good, brick building, but in need of renovation. Teacher. John Watson. Average, 31.

No. 5, the New Scotland School, stands on lot 16 in the 7th concession, near the centre. The house is a frame one, fairly kept, and well furnished. Teacher, Miss Kate McMurchy. Average, 30.

No. 6. a rather old frame house, stands near the middle of lot 25 in the 5th concession. The average attendance is 18. Teacher, George Edward Brown.

No. 7, stands on lot 8 in the 9th concession, on the west end. The house is a fine brick structure in a fine situation. The teacher is William Boal. Average, 43.

No. 8, is a small union ,vith Albion. Pupils go to Bolton Village.

No. 9, the Grenville School stands between the Old Survey and lot 35 in the 2nd concession. The building, a new plank structure, is conveniently arranged, and has hot air furnaces instead of the universal stove. John S. Stephens is the teacher. Average, 25.

No. 10, is two and a half miles west from Aurora. The house is a good brick one. The teacher is Byron Oliver. Average, 32.

No. 11, Kettleby School, stands on the east end of lot 27 hi the 4th concession. Teacher, Thomas Butler. Average, 35.

No. 12, situated on lot 31, near the middle, 5th concession, is a small and old frame house. The teacher is William Pearson. His average, 22.

No. 13, stands on lot 26 in the 7th concession. It is a brick building, recently erected and comfortably furnished. Teacher, Maria Norman. Average, 16.

No. 14, Schomberg School, on the north-east corner of lot 32, in the 9th concession, is a good and commodious brick structure having apartments for two teachers. Air. A. Wilkinson and Miss j. King. Average, 58.

No. 15, Lloydtown School, is a fine specimen of school architecture in brick, somewhat thrown out of proportion mside by recent division into two rooms. Teachers, Henry Ward and Miss Srigley. Average, 48.

No. 16, Crawford's School, stands on the south-east corner of lot 21, 11th concession. It is a frame building of moderate size. 1'eacher, Miss Libbie Cody. Average, 14.

No. 17 stands on the north side of lot 30, near the centre of the nth concession. It is an old frame building, and not comfortably furnished. Teacher, Malcolm D. Hall. Average, 23.

No. 18, the Linton or Little Lake School, stands on lot 19, in the 9th concession. It is a frame structure. Teacher, Cunningham Moore. Average, 33.

No. 19, Nobleton School, "s a double frame house 011 lot 5, near the west of concession 8. The two teachers are William F. Moore and Adelaide Watson. Average attendance, 60.

No. 20 is a union with 13 Albion, house not in the township.

No. 21 is situated in the 1st concession, west end of lots 7 and 8. It is a substantial and almost new brick house, and well furnished. Teacher, Henry J. Politho. Average, 30.

No. 22, the Eversley School, is a fine new brick house, 011 the west end of lot 9, 2nd concession. Teacher, II. W. Politho. Average, 22.

No. 23, Kinghorn School, a well-kept frame house, stands near the west end of lot G, in the 4th concession. Teacher, Joseph B. Morris. Average, 21.

No. 24, New Amsterdam or Bradford Bridge School, a good frame house, stands in the Old Survey, on the road between Holland Banding and Bradford. Teacher, Sarah C. McConnell. Average, 11. A small union of East Gwillimbury with 24 has an average of 3.


Return to Book Index Page

This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus